Gum disease is also seen in children. Lot of children suffer from gum disease, it is usually neglected, largely because most such children suffer from other serious illnesses. The severity can vary from something as simple as red and swollen gums to severe destruction of gums and periodontium.
Causes and risk factors that increase the chances of gum disease in children:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Teeth eruption and shedding
- Oral infections
- Poor nourishment
- Certain medications
- Oral habits like mouth breathing
- Hormonal changes
- Certain systemic diseases
Advanced form of gum disease in children could be an early sign of disease elsewhere in the body. There is an increased risk for oral diseases such as gingivitis and periodontal disease, more often in first molars (first of the wide teeth at the back of the mouth) and incisors (front teeth).
Types of gum disease in children
- Chronic gingivitis
- Aggressive periodontitis
- Generalized aggressive periodontitis
Symptoms of gum diseases
The gum disease can be identified easily by finding out the symptoms that has been shown in the gum line. Symptoms for gum disease can be mentioned as follows
- Red swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Plaques on the gums
- Receding gums
- Shrinking on roots
- Teeth loss
- Significant pain reduction.
- Considerable reduction in the swelling and bleeding.
- The anxiety of the patients can be reduced when lasers are employed.
- Better preservation can be obtained.